My Common Miracles list for today…
is mostly moments, as opposed to things and people. It was just that kind of day.
– Playing with paint this morning:
I finally got around to diluting my Tom Holtz Color Wash sprays (mine were so dark you couldn’t tell what color they were supposed to even after being sprayed) and in the process I “tested” out a bunch on some paper and just had fun doing it and watching the paint blend and mix.
– The moment when I first dove into the pool this afternoon:
I usually garden for an hour or two before I swim, so by the time I get into the pool, I’m terribly hot, sweaty, grungy, my hands and knees covered in soil, and everything I’ve been looking at has been green or brown or terra-cotta. To dive into cool, blue, crisp water after that is just an AMAZING feeling. It’s like everything gets washed away, my body can stretch from the tips of my fingers to the ends of my toes, and I can just totally unwind.
Conversely, the moment I got out of the pool was pretty awesome, too. After swimming for two hours, I was sore and a little bored and ready for a hot shower and to get on with the rest of the day.
– A few moments during my swim:
one was when I got some answers to an issue I have been pondering for quite a while (a terrific relief), when Delilah (one of my kitties) came and curled by the side of the pool as I swam, and then when “On A Good Day” by Oceanlab came on my iPod. I really needed to hear it.
– After I finished swimming and showering and starting laundry and tidying up and doing everything that needs getting done after I swim, I *finally* got to curl up on the couch with a hot cup of tea (Assam Harmony) and just be *still* and quiet for a while. I felt total relief in that moment, and I savored it.
– Watching the sunset out back, curled up on the swing with my current book (“Radio Shangri-La”) and enjoying a cool breeze.
– Sarah Harmer songs on the iPod we leave playing in the living room for Winnie. It’s nice to have good music playing all day, and it’s even nicer to hear a song I forgot I *really* loved.
A lot of these things- tea, my pets, sunset, the garden- are going to be common themes, but they are honestly the things that make me content.
Common Miracles is a project I started in May, 2011 to chronicle all the little (and big!) things that happen during regular days that bring me a sense of well-being. It’s a effort to recognize the small things that make life more worth living, the stuff that normally doesn’t get acknowledged or talked about.
Want to know the whole story? Want to join in? Please visit the very first post about this project, located here.