I’m a 40 year old artist (see my art at http://gingerbluestudios.com) living in southwest Florida with my husband Tom and my daughter Gracie and our little zoo of pets (cats, birds, and an elderly gecko).
In addition to loving pretty much anything and everything to do with paint, making beads, art journaling, rubber stamping, stenciling, paper, I’m also a:
- long distance swimmer (I swim five miles every day, which equates to about two-plus hours of laps…)
- animal rescuer and advocate (we volunteer at a local animal shelter)
- vegetarian (since I was 15 years old and becoming more and more concerned with the ever increasing cruelty animals suffer at the hands of the food industry. I know being a vegetarian is not for everyone, but it’d be nice to live in a world where killing animals for food didn’t also mean prolonged torture.)
- obsessive tea drinker (loose black and oolong, please!, at least three cups a day)
- writer (I love contributing to other sites. I’m also one of the top 100 reviewers at Amazon. I love doing product reviews- it’s a hobby I have had since I wrote concert and album reviews for my college paper.)
- music lover (Duran Duran, Simon and Garfunkel, David Gray, Innocence Mission, M83, and Metallica are some of my favorite musicians)
- movie lover (true fact: I have a Master’s Degree in Film Studies and Theory and we go to the movies as often as possible)
- gardener (I have a GIANT container garden which I spend at least an hour tending every day…)
- art historian (trained to be a curator, became an artist instead… go figure!)
- avid reader.
I also try to meditate every day.
I was born with Spina Bifida, which is a physical/neurological thing. I did some extensive writing on it in earlier versions of this journal- they are here. SB was difficult to deal with when I was younger, but when I started seriously swimming in 1992, my perspective on my body (and what it is capable of) has radically changed. However, I’ve got some health issues that pop up from time to time that I do discuss pretty openly, so feel free to ask any questions.
I’m very interested in issues of creativity, spirituality, and well-being and I spend a lot of time thinking about ways to combine all three in daily life.
Confession: I love going to Disney World and Universal Studios here in Florida. It’s about four hours away so we do LOTS of daytrip adventures!
the culmination of fourteen years of online journaling. I started writing LONG journal entries in 1997, when I was lonely and confused during graduate school. I didn’t think anyone was reading, but they were …
A huge chunk of this journal (late 2005-mid 2006) is focused on Gracie’s adoption from Vietnam.
Pages from previous versions of this website:leave a comment...